Sunday 24 June 2012

Category: Priorities

Apparently Alex Trebek, host of the ever popular game-show Jeopardy, suffered a heart attack this weekend. The only reason I know this is because my Twitter feed was littered with multiple 140-character sentences of concerned bullshit. Now, I'm not saying heart attacks aren't serious, because they are, but how many of my friends actually know Trebek? Probably none of them. So why do they care if he lives or not? (He is slowly making a recovery, by the way, according to some news sources.) Because if he does get worse, or dies, Jeopardy just wouldn't be the same anymore.

This kind of makes me mad.

I'm sure some people grew up watching Jeopardy, so I guess it would make sense for them to feel connected to Trebek, but it's not really a sense of connectedness. They've most likely never met him. They only want him to stay around so they can watch his show and feel successful when they get some totally irrelevant and random trivia question correct, which will probably never actually have any affect on their lives.

No. I really believe that people need to stop being so concerned about celebrities that they have no real connection to. People need to be more concerned about their immediate family and friends. Everyday people suffer heart attacks and other unfortunate ailments everyday, but we never seem to pay any attention to them. I bet More people found out about Trebek's situation today than they did about what was going on with their families.

To me, that is where the true tragedies lie.

No comments:

Post a Comment